Re: [hylafax-users] Modem Recommendation

> > We recently looked at a number of PCI modems, and we decided to go
> > with the MultiTech MultiModem ZPX.  You can find info on them at:
> > http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/MultiModemZPX/  They are
> a bit more
> > expensive than the other modems (they go for around
> $100US), but have
> > several benefits:
> >
> > 33.6 kbps (aka Class 2.1/SuperG3/V.34 faxing) Support (While others
> > have 56k data connections, most max out at 14.4 for fax) Excellent
> > Linux Support (including flashing their firmware through Linux
> > http://mtflashwiz.sourceforge.net/)
> > All the features we need (distinctive ring was a key one)
> >

> All of this is true and the MT5634ZPX would seem an excellent
> choice (I have one myself).
>
> But you should be forewarned that fax reception in class 2.1,
> presumably due to firmware limitations, causes data
> corruption for 2D-MMR.  Also, the firmware of the MT5634ZPX
> does not implement Class2 RTFCC, or the real-time fax
> compression conversion.  I am not sure if any future
> firmware upgrade that is released by Multitech will correct
> these problems.
>
> HylaFAX is a very progressive package in that it currently
> enables these functions.  But if you are not interested in
> using them, I would agree that the MT5634ZPX, both in price
> and in capability, is a very good choice.
>
> Frank Peters

Frank,

I remember your note about the corruption issues (which reportedly
appear as "Phase D" errors). In fact, I thought I was receiving them.
However, it turns out that there was a misconfiguration at a particular
remote site and that it was not related to our modem.

I have seen one remote machine request 2D-MMR ("NSF remote fax
equipment: Brother" in the log) on two occasions since going live May
6(out of 387 faxes).  I don't know how representative that is of general
population, but it isn't a significant concern for us since we got the
fax and we convert the format before we store it anyway. (It fell back
to 1D-MR rather than 2D-MR, which is odd, but I'll live with it).  We do
get consistent 28000 connections to the 33.6 faxes we deal with which
isn't bad for the terrible inside wiring we're dealing with which I
think is more important at the moment..

In general, though, are there other modems in the general ballpark price
range that have better support for Class 2.1?  I looked and found none.

Bill