Re: [hylafax-users] Modem Recommendation

On 2003.05.16 10:55 Frank Peters wrote:

> But you should be forewarned that fax reception in class 2.1,
> presumably
> due to firmware limitations, causes data corruption for 2D-MMR.  Also,
> the firmware of the MT5634ZPX does not implement Class2 RTFCC, or the
> real-time fax compression conversion.  I am not sure if any future
> firmware upgrade that is released by Multitech will correct these
> problems.

If MultiTech ever gets the 1.28 firmware release out for the ZPXs (as
they have the ZBAs), then these concerns should disappear.

> HylaFAX is a very progressive package in that it currently enables
> these functions.  But if you are not interested in using them,
> I would agree that the MT5634ZPX, both in price and in capability,
> is a very good choice.

I think that MMR support was added after 4.1.5, so MMR should be
explicitly disabled by default.  RTFCC is also disabled by default in
4.1.5.  The 1.25 firmware has some troubles with V.34, and this is
enabled by default in 4.1.5.  This can be disabled in the config file.

4.1.6 will enable MMR by default but not RTFCC.  Unfortunately, ZPX
users with 1.25 firmware will need to disable MMR in their config files
as it is indicated therin.

There are also problems with both 1.25 and 1.28 firmware regarding
extended resoultions, particularly 300x300 and 400x400 settings.
HylaFAX isn't affected by these in 4.1.5 or the future 4.1.6 because it
explicitly limits resolutions to only normal and fine.  This will
likely change in future releases.

Someday HylaFAX will support all of these features properly in its
Class 1 or Class 1.0 implementation, so limitations due to firmware
should no longer be an issue.  But someday takes a lot of programming
to reach, and the number of HylaFAX Class 1 protocol feature-developers
are few.

Lee.