Re: [hylafax-users] Quick Question Need Answered

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 07:50:54PM -0400, Brian Bisaillon wrote:
> Can I use the HylaFAX client programs to communicate with a HylaFAX server
> on a different physical machine or do the HylaFAX client programs have to
> remain on the same server (with the modems)?

Actually, in the universe of Unix, as I understand it, there is no
distinction between the "same machine" or "different physical machines"
when dealing with the client-server architecture.

Even if the HylaFAX client and server reside on the same physical
machine, they will communicate using the same protocols as if they
were on different physical machines.  This is why the user, with
client and server on the same machine, had better establish a so-called
loopback network interface (involving the host 127.0.0.1) or else the
communication between client and server will fail as surely as if
a physical cable were cut.

But your question has already been answered in the affirmative.

Frank Peters