Re: [hylafax-users] Multiport Internal Modem for 4-5 lines

> I'd like to install Hylafax on Debian Woody 2.4.18, I'm asking You to
> help me choose a good internal PCI fax-modem for 4-5 lines.
> I'm using Intel 1U server, so the best suitable card would be a
> low-profile PCI, but normal size will be good too.
> One more question, what do You think about USB modems?
I wish to put in my 2cents here because I feel very strongly about this
subject.

Win modems are just out of the question... they are too sketchy to get
running, and a kernel/lib upgrade MAY through them into an unusable state.
Too many "if's".

USB modems? One question.. why? or at least why would you use USB instead of
serial port modems? I understand the theoretical 32 modems, but someone would
have to prove that to me. I don't know anyone running usb modems for anything
of importance.

Multiport modems are great if you have the support from the manufacturer.
Brooktroute are great, but only if you get support (drivers aren't available
for free). I've seen 4 port modems, but 5 ports, and you will have to go to
another card. These are very expensive also.

My favorite solution:
Serial port IO card (like digi makes) and external modems.
My setup has a digi neo 8 port card that allows me to have up to 8 modems
using 1 IRQ (yes this is STILL a problem in 2003).
External modems are more reliable, and easy to replace. Only bad thing is that
they take up more space.

--
Cam Coble
IT Manager