Re: [hylafax-users] Multiport Internal Modem for 4-5 lines

Marcin Wasilewski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to install Hylafax on Debian Woody 2.4.18, I'm asking You to
> help me choose a good internal PCI fax-modem for 4-5 lines.
> I'm using Intel 1U server, so the best suitable card would be a
> low-profile PCI, but normal size will be good too.
> One more question, what do You think about USB modems?
> Best regards,
> Marcin

There was a discussion about this on the list a few weeks ago.  Somebody
on the list wanted to add multiple usb modems(a nice idea in principle
because the number of allowed usb ports is quite large) but could not.
 The result of the discussion I think was that nearly all usb modems are
software modems.  Then I think if you use any kind of software modem,
you are limited by the kernel to only one serial interface on your
system.  That was my impression of the discussion -  please comment on
this if there are any inaccuracies in my interpretation.

George