Re: [hylafax-users] faxgetty respawning too quickly

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:58:22 -0700
Nicholas Bernstein <nick@docmagic.com> wrote:

> I'm getting:
>
> 	Apr 17 16:56:15 fax2 init: Id "t2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
> minutes
>
> in the logs.
>
> /etc/inittab reads:
> 7:23:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyM1a
>
> is there a way to slow fix this?

It appears that you have modem problems.  Faxgetty communicates with
the modem over that particular serial line (ttyM1a) and after detecting
some problem it will terminate.  After termination, due to that line
in inittab, it is immediately restarted.  If this cycle repeats to
often then the above error message will occur.

You could temporarily comment out that line in inittab and then
reboot or restart.  Then you can attempt to start faxgetty manually
and get a closer look at the problem.  Maybe increasing the
verbosity level will give more data in the logs.

I'm sorry that I can't give a simpler answer.

Frank Peters