Re: [hylafax-users] fax4CUPS questions for hylafax use on Linuxclient

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 09:22, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:
> > I've successfully installed hylafax and the sendfax command really works
> > even from clients. Client users do not like the sendfax command, they
> > expect a "print-to-fax" application instead. I hope that "fax4CUPS"
> > could do this.
>
> This is, of course, the right way for a fax client to work.  Integration with
> the printing system is the only way to go.
>
> Where can I get 'fax4CUPS' - I'd be interested in taking a look.
>
> What fax client are you using?  What's needed is a mechanism to enter the fax
> number after the file is printed to the "fax printer".

I did not see fax4CUPS as we were setting up my first hylafax setup but
used smbfax instead.  I assum that it works similarly with perhaps the
difference being that the hook is in the CUPS printing system instead of
at the Samba printer definition.  smbfax sends the user an email as soon
as the document is printed to the fax "printer" with a url to an html
form built via a perl cgi script.  the fax is sent to the modem upon
form submission.

it is an easy google to find smbfax.

It is very cool.  We added a couple of mods to the smbfax script that
works with the existing exchange server data to fix an issue that arose
where the users' smtp address does not necessarily correlate with the
name as the NT Domain user.  Since winbindd is used to support
authentication to an existing NT PDC, this was required.

If anyone wants to see our mods I can make a stab at documenting what we
did and put the stuff on the web.  We just got this working Fri PM after
a day or so of struggling with a good way to do this without an admin
needing to manually configure aliases for each user. I HATE manual
processes.

Bret