[hylafax-users] unable to change group during receive fax scripts

I have written a web front-end for HylaFax that is used by staff where I work.  There has been one ongoing problem that I am unable to identify the cause of.  Whenever a new fax is received, it runs the faxrcvd file, which is a bash script modified by us.  This script calls another script which creates some JPEG and PNG thumbnails and places them in a directory ready to be viewed from a web browser using a custom CGI script.

The problem is that it is impossible to change group permissions when HylaFax calls the faxrcvd script.  However, when we run it ourselves using our test_faxrcvd script (which su's to "uucp" user and runs the faxrcvd script as if it were a real new fax), everything works fine.

Can someone tell me what HylaFax does differently for a new fax than a "su uucp" does ?

The error log simply gives messages like the following:

chgrp: changing group of `/var/spool/hylafax/fax_server/archive/Inbox/fax00224.tif': Operation not permitted

chgrp: changing group of `/var/spool/hylafax/fax_server/archive/Inbox/fax00228.txt': Operation not permitted

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I would love to close this bug and get the few remaining quirks worked out.  The web interface isn't particularly fancy, but it works nicely ... I would be happy to post the scripts if anyone is interested.

Currently I have to run a script in background which changes the group of files every 30 seconds to www-data so Apache can read new faxes !  Very annoying.

Thank you,

 - raven morris