From: hylafax-users-bounce@hylafax.org
[mailto:hylafax-users-bounce@hylafax.org] On Behalf Of
woodchip@gentoo.org
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 6:30 PM
To: hylafax-users@hylafax.org
Subject: [hylafax-users] This bin/notify{,.awk} hackery doesnt quite cut
it

Greetings Devs & List Members.

  I've a small problem with hacking on a custom sent fax archive
configuration.  What I have basically works okay, it uses some
changes to the bin/notify and bin/notify.awk programs, uses
mimencode, and uses some additional filtering on behalf of a
dedicated fax-log system user.

  The system account receives email with attachments of every
B0ccessfully sent outgoing fax as mimencoded .tiff files.  It
also gets mail for errors and requeues, but these are filtered
out from being stored in the "successfull" sent archive at the
filesystem level.

  A small BASH program is run from the user's .qmail file, which
extracts the .tiff attachment (the sent fax) and saves it to a
unique filename.

  For all the hack that it is, it pretty much does the job.  I'm
aware there might be more elegant/complex/complete systems,
perhaps utilsing MySQL DB for the backend storage, etc.  I'm
not terribly concerned with implementing one of these, so please
no suggestions to look there.  My client setup basically uses
a custom smbfax system, so I've no issues with that part of the
setup either.

  Really the only little irk that I can't figure out, is with
the mimencoded attachment that I manage to pull-out, and then
later play with/track/save.  The thing is, that I only ever
get the main content of the outgoing fax, that is, basically
everything minus the cover page.  Well, most of the time
anyway.

  It does get the cover page when the outgoing job doesnt
complete successfully, for whatever reason.  For all it's
worth and at the end-of-the-day, I think I just might need
a little fix or two to the bin/notify and/or bin/notify.awk
program(s).  So I attach them for you review, could some
person more enlightened than suggestion a solution to the
problem, I'd fully appreciate it.

  There are more comments in the notify file itself as to
my specific dilemma.  Note that the original routine for
the AttachTiffFile stuff was found after digging around
on Google, which some other people have probably run into
if they've looked for stuff along these lines before.
Note also that that function doesnt take a parameter
anymore even though I've not updated the calls to it in
the later sections of notify.awk.  I just kind of hacked
on it all and it ended up where it is now; not too pretty
but almost fully functional for what I need.

  Thanks in advance.