[hylafax-users] The age old Str.h assert problem

Hylafax 4.1.5, WHFC 1.09, RedHat 7.2, Win2k, Win98

Having struggled with what I gather is a long-standing and never totally
resolved problem concerning the Str.h assert failure of Hylafax, I thought
I'd share what I have found. In my simple little home lan, all of my
machines run simple one word host names. On the linux box, it is necessary
for the names in /etc/hosts to be of the form:

    192.168.1.xxx   hostname.   alias

in order for the whole thing to work. Notice the "." at the end of hostname.
That is necessary and is at least one cause of the Str.h assert failure.
Hylafax 4.1.5 and AFAICT all previous versions can not handle a "." at the
end of a top level domain name. There is a real bug in the code which causes
that Str.h assert. As a temporary fix, changing a one word domain to a
normal name.ext form should make the assert go away.

I have found and fixed the problem on my copy of the Hylafax source. I don't
want to hook up with the whole Bugzilla thing, so if someone can tell me who
to send the fixes to, I will happily share the fixed code.

Regards to all

--
John Gilman