Re: [hylafax-users] Simple, Basic Question

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 19:19, Ruben Safir wrote:

> If the fax is in the line and the instructions were followed this is not possible.

> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 07:41:40PM +0000, Joe Villari wrote:

> >  I tried:
> > [joev@localhost joev]$ sendfax -n -d 16467348236 printtest.txt
> > but the modem doesn't dial nor does my phone ring.

Here's another troubleshooting idea, Joe:

	Your distribution should include minicom.  It's pretty good at figuring
out which port (/dev/ttySx) has a modem, and it's great for issuing
simple AT commands.  this will let you verify that your modem is located
on the port you think it is, and that the modem is "working".

	At home (where I'm not, right now) I have an old modem-booklet with a
great listing of AT commands.  Maybe you'll have something similar
kicking around?  Or, surf the Web.  Or, maybe the minicom man-page?

	I think this would be an excellent first step - make sure the modem is
functional.

	-Gord

--
Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng.         | Institute of Electrical and
Research Labs Manager            |      Electronics Engineers