Re: [hylafax-users] Unable to open shared document file

Quoting Michael Boettjer <mb@ahlersgetraenke.de>:

> mmh, i don't understand the complete "convert-logic" of hylafax.
> in my opinion it's converting with tiff2fax...or not?

The format used between two fax machines is tiff, but not all tiff are the
same, and tiff2fax will convert to the right kind of tiff to be used for
the transmission if necessary. If the file is already in the format which
will be used by the delivery, it will do a symlink to the original hardlink
used by the current session. Once that session is completed, the hardlink
will be removed and the symlink will point to nowhere. That's when the
problem occurs.

> the docq-directory contains the following files reffered to an current
> incorrect series fax:

That's the original file:
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45 doc33.tif

This would be a hardlink to the original doc33.tif:
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45 doc33.tif.169

Those are not normal filenames, they seem to be hardlinks to doc33.tif.169
Did you use some kind of resend script that used doc33.tif.169 as the file
to send?:
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.180
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.186
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.189
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.191
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.194
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.196
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.198
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.201
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.203
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.206
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.213
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.223
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.226
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.229
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.234
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.244
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.247
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.250
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.253
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.256
> -rw-r-----   23 fax      60002       38876 Dec 30 09:45
> doc33.tif.169.259

Here, you see such a link to a file that was removed, next time a
transmission will need the 01 format (sorry, haven't time to check which
one this is), it will barf on a file not found, remove the symlink and
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Dec 30 10:57 doc33.tif.169;01
> -> doc33.tif.169.260

Here you got a link to a hardlink that still is present so the file can be
used without problem (until job 169 finishes correctly):
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Dec 30 09:45 doc33.tif;01 ->
> doc33.tif.169

The information above is on the top of my head and I may be wrong
somewhere, but the thing is that the symlinks should have been made to
doc33.tif.169 and doc33.tif respectively.

> Thank you, but how (and where) i can use file formats that need
> conversion?

You could send the fax as postscript (I believe Cypheus can do both PS and
TIFF). Or you could fix the bug and send a patch to bugzilla. :)

--
Patrice Fournier
pfournier@loups.net