From: Lee Howard [mailto:faxguy@howardsilvan.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 8:29 PM
To: Christopher Maness
Cc: ron@dippold.com; hylafax-users@hylafax.org
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] overlapping/cut lines in fax page.

I received the probemodem output as requested.  It appears like the
modem uses a Lucent/Agere chipset rather than the one that Hayes has
historically used (Rockwell/Conexant).  This would tend to indicate
that for Class 1 configurations, config/lucent is more applicable than
config/rc288dpi-1 ... although honestly, it really shouldn't matter in
Class 1 implementations.

I didn't do (or, haven't done) anything with the requested data because
more and more it is appearing to me that faxaddmodem behavior in
matching fixed configuration files to AT-id responses is weak and
subject to flaws.  In order for this to be perfect, there could need to
be a config prototype for every firmware revision of every model of
every modem out there.  And that's a tremendous impossibility, and
HylaFAX can never keep up.

faxaddmodem has the tools to generally check to see if certain
functions are available in a particular modem without relying on
prototype files.  I.e., checking to see if AT+FTS=n results in ERROR or
not.  faxaddmodem could become a monstrous beast of a script, but it
would be more versatile than the current prototyping that HylaFAX (and
mgetty, and efax, and many Win-programs) use.

So, anyway, I didn't invest any effort in trying to match probemodem
output to config file.

Lee.