Re: [hylafax-users] Distinctive Ring is interpreted as Busy Signal

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 12:19:36PM -0500, William O'Shea wrote:
> I'm using RH7.3, Hylafax 4.1, USR sportster 56K in
> class 1 mode, send only.
>
> I have no problem sending to most fax machined, but
> I cannot sent to a specifice machine.  If I listen
> to the call, the modem dial, the other end picks up,
> the other end rings twice quickly.  After the second
> ring, my modem hangs up immediately.  I then get
> an email saying that the line was busy.
>
> Is there any way to tell Hylafax or the modem that
> two quick rings is not a busy signal?

I don't think that's distinctive ring; I think it's a *fax switch* at
the other end.

Particularly if it's a toll call for you, this could cause you
problems.  If the fax machine belongs to a house account, you might
suggest to them that they *do* invest in distincitve ring at their end
of the link; those switches are more reliable.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")