Re: [hylafax-users] Looking for working DID/DNIS solution

On 2002.08.07 08:02 Tim Price <tprice@lovebox.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for further help in getting inbound DID or DNIS routing
> working, CallerID is not enough .  We have v-4.1.2 running on RH7.3,
> outbound works fine, inbound with limited routing works fine.  We do not
> need huge volume.  I am only looking at 2-4 inbound lines and 2-4
> outbound lines, and have an extremely tight budget which may mean
> DID/DNIS is not going to be an option.

Generally, no.  But you didn't say exactly *how* tight the budget is.
DID/DNIS seems to be something that everyone wants but that most won't
get.  And in most of these cases an alternative solution would work best.
In your case, where you only want 2-4 inbound numbers (I presume you mean
lines to be numbers), I suggest that setting up a multiport modem with
multiple analog lines (distinct numbers) would work better and cheaper for
you than DID/DNIS.  A 4-port [MultiTech/Digi/Equinox/Comtrol] card may run
you $600, and each line may run you $20 or less per month.  I suspect that
$80 monthly will be less than the monthly DID/DNIS charges from the telco.

The other option is to get all of your senders to use subaddressing... but
that's probably a long-shot, but it would be really cool if they did.

> I guess I'm looking for people that actually have something working and
> that can tell me what hardware they have and what configuration issues
> they resolved to get things going.  I want to make sure of a working
> implementation with an exact description of hardware before I purchase
> anything needed to complete our project.  Lee, your responses have been
> very helpful so if you have these answers, or know of another solution in
> the same price range or less, by all means educate me.

The only DID solution I've worked with have been T1 PRIs, and I don't
think that fits your budget.

Lee.