[hylafax-users] Making modem "down" for a period of a time under dual-modem system/ Broadcasting

Greetings fellow Hylafax Users,

I am running 3 systems with Hylafax, one is used to send faxes from our
office, second system is setup to recieve only and the third system was
configured for broadcasting. The broadcasting system is running:

OS: FreeBSD 4.6
Modems: cuaa0 - USR Courier V.Everything(external)
        cuaa1 - USR Internal PCI HARDWARE MODEM!!!
Hylafax: 4.1.2

cuaa1 is located on voice line which is used during the day, however I want
to use it during the night(12am-8am) to do broadcasting. It seems TimeOfDay
option can only be applied to ALL modems not just one modem:(
I tried using faxquit and faxstate but that did not work. It just keeps
sending. I  executed "faxstate -n -s down cuaa1" or "faxstate -s down cuaa1"
with no results. The only lame solution I could come up with is to use cron
to kill all hylafax proccesses, remove the config.cuaa1 file from /etc/ and
modify /etc/ttys. Restart Hylafax & ttys. Then 8 hours later reverse the
proccess.

Basically I have 2 questions?

1)How can I kill a modem from becoming available to Hylafax either
permanently(so I can use cron to restore it) without killing the Hylafax
proccesses or on a timebase(e.g. TimeofDay)?

2)What is the difference in faxstate between "busy" and "down"
and what would I troubleshoot to make the command work?

The solution I want to share below was kind of eliminated by kind Dimitry
Ketov who made a patch(http://www.hylafax.org/archive/2002-03/msg00568.html)
for broadcasting.
Here is a script I wrote to help me with broadcasting, lets call it
broadcast.sh. To use execute the script execute cat faxnumbers.txt | sh
broadcast.sh. The "lt 20" means how many # to submit at a time.

#!/bin/sh
x=""
e=0
y=0
numbr=""
while [ $e -ne 1 ] ; do
y=0
while [ $y -lt 20 ]; do
read numbr || { e=1; y=9999999; }
[ $e -ne 1 ] && x="-d $numbr $x"
y=$(( $y + 1 ))
done
echo "$x"
sendfax -k "now +168 hours" -T 4 -n -N $x fax.tif
x=""
done

Sincerely,

Vitaly Martiniuk

http://www.killersolutions.com

This message is a private communication. The documentation transmitted in
this message may contain confidential or privileged information.
It is intended for the exclusive use of the person to whom it is addressed
and may not otherwise be read, distributed, copied or disclosed.
If you have received this message in error, please notify our office
immediately and return the original transmission to us.
Thank you for your co-operation.

The sender does not assume any liability for timely, trouble free, complete,
virus free, secure, error free or uninterrupted arrival of this e-mail. For
verification please request a hard copy version.