Re: [hylafax-users] What's broken?

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 07:19:29AM -0500, Josh Welch wrote:
> <snip>
> > You'd think if they'd written the firware properly, the class used would
> > have no effect on the reliability of the thing.
> </snip>
>
> And this is the exact reason that class 1 is recommended these days :)

Let me clarify that, in case the guy whose name you clipped (bad boy,
Josh) missed the point:

In Class 1.x faxmodems, the T.30 and other related fax protocols
(everything except the actual modem tone warbling) is implemented by
the fax software on the computer.

In Class 2.x faxmodems, those protocols are actually implemented by the
CPU on the modem itself.

Hopefully obviously, this implies that there's nothing we (the HylaFAX
project people) can do about modems running in Class 2.x -- they're
going to have whatever protocol problems they have until someone talks
the modem manufacturer into fixing their ROMs.

Class 1.x, on the other hand, has gotten *QUITE* a bit better over the
last year, and especially the last three months or so, with the 4.1.1
and 4.1.2 releases.  There are even newer fixes checked into CVS, some
of which are also pertinent on this front, and I hear the rumblings in
the distance of another point release to incorporate them.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")