Re: [hylafax-users] Need for additional HylaFAQ entry

On 2002.06.05 09:27 pyxl wrote:

>  Buuut, I couldn't find a simple statement of the *requirement* for
> faxgetty to be running to get accurate modem status information from
> faxstat anywhere in the documentation,

It is implied in the statements at:

http://www.hylafax.org/howto/using.html#ss3.2
http://www.hylafax.org/howto/using.html#ss3.4

Using faxgetty is itemized in the installation procedures at:

http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.html#ss2.2 (2.2.5)
http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.html#ss2.3.1 (2.3.1.4)

And this exact issue is mentioned at:

http://www.hylafax.org/howto/tweaking.html#ss6.6

Something a bit more forceful is said in the manpages somewhere.

"Waiting for modem to come ready" is an accurate status for non-faxgetty
users because without running faxgetty we really don't know what the
status is until faxq allocates another job to it.  Thus, we're "waiting"
until that happens before we can say anything more.  This only makes
sense, because, by not running faxgetty we cannot monitor what is
happening with the modem when we're not using it.

Methinks you didn't read the HOWTO.

Lee.