Re: [hylafax-users] Linmodems

At 05:00 PM 9/4/01 -0700, Mark Villanova wrote:
>New to the list so be kind.
>
>I am trying to setup a box with 5 Linmodems (lucent chipset) and 2
>external's.  Am I just insane?  I currently have one box up with 2 ISA
>controller-based modems and one Lucent Linmodem and it works fine.  I am
>having issues with getting multiple linmodems to work.  They do no seem
>to want to answer.  Minicom will communicate with each modem fine.  Any
>opinions on multiple linmodems?  I am hoping someone else has done this
>so I can pick their brain.

Take a look at:
http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.html#ss2.1
for my winded explanation.

But, to be quick, any Linmodem driver alters the behavior of the Linux
serial driver.  Which means that you cannot reliably use other serial
devices on the system, including external or internal hardware serial
modems when the Linmodem module is activated.  Also, you cannot use two
different Linmodems at the same time, since their respective Linmodem
drivers will fight each other in their preferred way to alter the serial
interface.

Currently, I know of no Linmodem driver that supports multiple instances
out-of-the-box.  Reportedly, the Lucent Linmodem driver can be hacked
easily to support multiple instances, but I don't think that it's made it
into the actual codebase.  If you're interested in this, then I suggest you
take a look through the recent archives for a post by menominee@skyenet.net
who provided a link to the Lucent Linmodem mailing list where this was
discussed...

But frankly, if you're trying to get multiple modems into a system without
the expense of the Comtrol or similar multiport cards... then your best bet
is to use actual controller-based PCI cards.  See the HOWTO link above.

Believe me, I've been there and done that, and in order to set up my
5-modem HylaFAX system, I used two external modems and three internal
controller-based PCI modems.  Later I investigated the Linmodem option, but
as I've said, I don't think it's an option for a multi-modem system.

Lee.