Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFAX performance vs regular fax machine.

At 05:36 PM 9/4/01 -0400, Joe Matuscak wrote:
>We've been experimenting with HylaFAX recently, with the idea of putting
>on all of our desktops. Things pretty much seem to be working as far as
>sending and even recieving faxes.  One thing we have noticed is that
>HylaFAX does not seem to send a given FAX as quickly as our good old
>manual fax machine.  For example, I sent a 8 page document (from MS-Word,
>using the WHFC client) to our traditional FAX machine. Sent from HylaFAX,
>the report on the fax machine shows the document consistently taking 4
>minutes 34 sec.  From another traditional fax machine, the same document
>took 2 min 52 sec.

A log of that fax session would be useful.

>Our server is RedHat 7.1 on a 300mhz PII with 128mb ram. HylaFAX 4.1
>installed from the RPMs. The modem is a external Multitech MT5600ZDX.
>We're running the modem in Class 2.  From the logs, the fax machine
>appears to say it can do 2-D MR, but HylaFAX decides to use 1-D MR.

HylaFAX always sends in 1-D the first time it sends to any particular
destination.  Once we have communicated with the remote, then successive
calls to that destination use 2-D, if available.

Another question is whether or not your modem can do 2-D...

>I assume HylaFAX should be able to equal the transmit times of a
>traditional fax machine, is that correct?

Yes, and in all my testing, this has been the case ... excepting the first
call which will always use 1-D.

Lee.