[hylafax-users] HylaFAX performance vs regular fax machine.

We've been experimenting with HylaFAX recently, with the idea of putting
on all of our desktops. Things pretty much seem to be working as far as
sending and even recieving faxes.  One thing we have noticed is that
HylaFAX does not seem to send a given FAX as quickly as our good old
manual fax machine.  For example, I sent a 8 page document (from MS-Word,
using the WHFC client) to our traditional FAX machine. Sent from HylaFAX,
the report on the fax machine shows the document consistently taking 4
minutes 34 sec.  From another traditional fax machine, the same document
took 2 min 52 sec.

Our server is RedHat 7.1 on a 300mhz PII with 128mb ram. HylaFAX 4.1
installed from the RPMs. The modem is a external Multitech MT5600ZDX.
We're running the modem in Class 2.  From the logs, the fax machine
appears to say it can do 2-D MR, but HylaFAX decides to use 1-D MR.

I assume HylaFAX should be able to equal the transmit times of a
traditional fax machine, is that correct?

The modem config is vanilla, are there things in there that I need to
tweak? Is the MT5600ZDX a reasonable choice for a modem?

Does the server hardware sound like it might be a bottleneck?

Any performance tuning hints would be appreciated.

TIA,

Joe Matuscak
Rohrer Corporation
717 Seville Road