Re: [hylafax-users] One server, multiple modem pools?

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 10:30:42AM +0930, Adam Fox wrote:
> What we want to do is have only the one hylafax server in Melbourne and
> modem pools in Melbourne, Adelaide and Fremantle. We have a frame relay
> network that links all three locations, and we have Stallion TermServers at
> each location. I am using the svr_tty daemon supplied by Stallion
> Technologies to communicate with the modems using pseudo tty devices, and
> this works fine. I can communicate with a modem here in Adelaide from the
> Melbourne server like the modem is connected to the modem server.

Congratu-damn-lations; you're the first person in recent memory to get
remote modems working right.  We'd greatly appreciate it if you could
-- in your Copious Free Time -- write up a few paragraphs on how you
did that and post them to the mailing list so they're in the archives
for later...

> So when a fax is destined for a Melbourne number, we would like it to use
> the Melbourne modem pool. When a fax is destined for an Adelaide number, we
> would like it to use the Adelaide modem pool, and ditto for Freo. These
> faxes will be generated by the system, so we could in theory explicitly say
> "send this fax to the freo modem pool".

What you need is, effectively, least cost routing, and that's not
currently built into HylaFAX.  I *think* I remember someone posting a
patch to allow Modem to be selected in the DestControls file, a month
or two back, and that would allow you to do what you want, at a bit of
file maintenance cost as exchanges are added; I'm not certain whether
that patch made the 4.1.0 release or not; Lee Howard, our resident
FaxGuy (every fax software mailing list needs one of those, right?) will
no doubt fill in the holes in my memory on both points.

Worst case, you can specify the desired Modem(Group) from the unix
sendfax command line... but I *don't* think you can do it from WHFC;
Cypheus, I'm not sure of.

Cheers,
-- jra

   "Usenet (and fanfic): it's enough to make you loose your mind."
     -- me