Re: [hylafax-users] Faxq process broken

At 12:46 PM 8/21/01 +1200, Warren Wagener wrote:

>After lots of trialing various options (original system rh6.2
>HylaFAX 4.0pl2) upgraded to 4.1 and broke the server big time!

You say that 4.1 "broke the server big time".  I'll bet it was user error,
more likely.  You're now going to confirm that...

>What I have now done is to remove all instances (as far as I know) of the
>software and reinstalled the 4.0pl2 rpm.

Uninstalling RPM binaries is quite definitive.  I don't understand how you
can be uncertain about its success or not.  If rpm cannot remove a
directory due to user content, then it notifies you of that.

Furthermore, you need not look far (http://www.hylafax.org/4.1.html) to
understand why choosing 4.0pl2 over 4.1 is, quite frankly, silly.  Also,
that same document explains the problem you explain now...

>The server runs fine (i.e. can telnet in or use whfc to obtain status),
>until a fax is sent. At this stage it stalls and seems to do nothing with
>the fax. No log file is created.
>The faxq process is listed by top as using all available processor power
>(i.e running 98+ %).

HylaFAX uses libtiff.  libtiff changed in a dramatic way (as far as HylaFAX
is concerned) between its versions 3.4 and 3.5.  Consequently, if you
compile HylaFAX (4.1) on a system with libtiff-3.4, you need to continue to
use libtiff-3.4, or recompile+reinstall HylaFAX (4.1) after upgrading
libtiff.  The reverse is also true; if you compile HylaFAX on libtiff-3.5,
you need to continue to use libtiff-3.5.

If you're using anything prior to HylaFAX 4.1beta3, then you are required
to use libtiff-3.4.  The changes in libtiff alone should be enough to
motivate you to upgrade HylaFAX.

Binary distributions, such as RPMs, were obviously compiled on one version
of libtiff or another, and, as far as I know, new HylaFAX RPMs will warn
you about version conflicts if you attempt to install HylaFAX on a wrong
version of libtiff.

This is all well documented on the hylafax.org website, in the source
README, and quite repeatedly in the mail archives.

>Any ideas, flashes of brilliance etc would be gratefully accepted by this
>absolute Linux novice to get our fax server running again.

Yes, grab the 4.1 SRPM, make minor and obvious changes to the spec file for
the version differences, build that, then install and use it.  If that
isn't possible at the moment, then ask nicely, and I'll send you my 6x 4.1
RPM.

Lee.