Re: [hylafax-users] Installing latest hylafax 4.1

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 04:15:55PM -0700, Joseph I. Davida wrote:
> First, I deinstalled the old 4.1-b2_2
> and verified it's removal. I even removed
> /var/spool/fax (I had nothing important there
> I wanted to keep).
> I downloaded latest 4.1 tarball and installed it.
> # cksum /usr/ports/distfiles/hylafax/hylafax-4.1.tar.gz
> 593620227 1243832 /usr/ports/distfiles/hylafax/hylafax-4.1.tar.gz
> # md5 /usr/ports/distfiles/hylafax/hylafax-4.1.tar.gz
> MD5 (/usr/ports/distfiles/hylafax/hylafax-4.1.tar.gz) =
> d8a60dcddb4bcfd67c494aee89d036e7
>
> Now upon running faxaddmodem, I get:
>
> # faxaddmodem
>
> FATAL ERROR: /var/spool/hylafax/etc/setup.cache is missing!
>
> The file /var/spool/hylafax/etc/setup.cache is not present.  This
> probably means the machine has not been setup using the faxsetup(8C)
> command.  Read the documentation on setting up HylaFAX before you
> startup a server system.
>
> I looked in the dir /var/spool/hylafax/etc and also found
> setup.modem missing.

This sounds awfully like you haven't run faxsetup.  Remember that the
RPM runs it automagically, but you have to do it by hand if you use the
tarball.

You don't *say* that you have run it, so we'll assume that a) you
didn't and b) you didn't read the error message closely enough.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jr 'read the HOWTO, too' a

   "So easy to use, no wonder the Internet is going to hell!"
     -- me