Re: [hylafax-users] problem with faxanswer

Giulio Orsero wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:17:49 +0200, you wrote:
> >in the man page of faxanswer i read "faxanswer - tell a HylaFAX
> >server to answer the telephone". i thought that this means i can
> >use this program to answer incoming fax calls manually. am i
> >wrong?
> yes, but read-on
>    faxanswer sends a message to the HylaFAX faxgetty(8C) pro­
>        cess servicing modem telling it to answer  the  telephone.
>        This  is  useful,  for  example, when a modem is used on a
ahh, ok, somehow i missed that (i am reading docs, faqs and
howtos since highnoon and feel a bit lost!)

> >i just have on telephone line and use it also for "real
> >old-fashioned phone calls" and connect to the internet and
> >faxgetty (seems) to block the modem.
>
> In my experience there are 2 causes for this:
>
> 1)
> make faxgetty respawn and look at /var/log/messages.
> if you see errors, it may be possible that faxgetty tries and tries and tries
> again to reset the modem and so it keeps it locked.
hmm, i found a line saying "/dev/ttyS0: Can not lock device."
(explanation see below! ;-) )

> 2)
> faxgetty allows other progs to use the modem as long as they all agree on how
> the modem is called. You use ttyS0 for faxgetty, check that pppd or whatever
> else is using the same name (and not "modem", for instance) to create locks in
> /var/lock.
> Connect to the internet and
> ls /var/lock
> What do you see?  LCK..????
yep! thats the clou! it was LCK..modem!! :-)))

now i am using everywhere ttyS0 and now it works like this:
i can start "faxgetty ttyS0" AND connect to the internet via ppp
without problems! and if there is an incoming fax i can start
receiving with "faxanswer ttyS0" (or let hylafax do it after
"RingsBeforeAnswer" automatically). thanks, that brings me a good
step forward! ;-)

the remaining problem (or better wish) is now just to get hylafax
to answer only an incoming fax without unhooking the line. do you
know if this is possible? do i need a special modem?
iirc (i read simply to much today!) it said somewhere that
hylafax can decide if the incoming call is data, fax or voice
(and give control to vgetty or something similar) but for that
the modem must unhook the line. am i right?

thanks in advance for your help!
	markus