Re: [hylafax-users] Problems with attached GIF delivery

At 03:46 PM 7/4/01 +0200, Markus Nospers wrote:
>Hi
>
>I've a little question.
>First my system specs. Im running Hylafax on a Debian
>System with capi4hylafax. All is working fine, I receive
>faxes on two MSNs and they'll be delivered to different
>mail addresses.
>I'm sending the faxes as attachments in GIF format.

You mean 's/sending/delivering/'.
No offense intended, but delivery in GIF filetype is such a bad idea here.
GIF is lossy, isn't it?  Well, it certainly wasn't intended for fax images.
 The main reason that it's a bad idea is that GIF is not multi-page, as
you're about to explain.

>Now my two little Problems:
>
>1) Is there any solution out, how to split the fax,
>   so that I've one A4 site per gif (or tiff) file ?
>   I'll have one file per site attached to the mail.

If anything does it, ImageMagick will, but allow me to be the first to
recommend that you toss out the GIF delivery and go to TIFF, PDF, or PS.
Ultimately you'll be less involved in getting the clients with a valid TIFF
reader than you will trying to hack the server into doing what you're
considering.

>2) Does anyone know, how I can double the lines, if
>   I receive a fax with 204x94 dpi ?

Again, ImageMagick.

Lee.