Re: [hylafax-users] BrookTrout TruFAX

At 01:36 PM 7/3/01 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>Is it actually "encryption", Lee?  Or is it just that, being a
>dedicated fax card, they implemented CAS or something similar *instead*
>of an AT command set emulator?

Okay, I did say "of sorts".  I'm not sure it's encryption, but you can
'setserial' the IRQ and IO address, and you'll get lots of crap shot back
at you in the terminal when you 'minicom' the port.  The activity LEDs even
light up.

BrookTrout's response to my query was:

"The Brooktrout TR114 board driver would come as part of the Lanfax
application that you purchase, Brooktrout does not supply them as a
seperate downloadable item.

"Brooktrout gives its Lanfax partners a software developers kit that
includes the API, drivers and firmware etc.  The software developer then
incorporates the Brooktrout board/driver selection as an integral part of
their fax application.  As such, you will need to contact the vendor of
HylaFAX and ask them if they support Brooktrout cards."

Heh.  That's almost funny.

>Yeah; Comtrol makes some nice stuff.  How much is that 8-modem card
>these days?

This 8-port ISA RocketModem has an MSRP of US$1,745.00, but I think you
could find it on the street for somewhere closer to $900... or on ebay for
$50 ;-)

Lee.