Re: [hylafax-users] Serial latency

Hi Jay

> > Breakout box shows no activity on pin 20 during transmission, pulses on
> > hangup. So it looks as if our hardware handshaking from the Linux end
isn't
> > working. Presumably this is all done by kernel routines called by
Hylafax
> > which should toggle the DTR line when the UART fifo is getting full.
Tried
> > XonXoff for good measure with no improvement, so that may help to
pinpoint
> > the level at which things aren't working.
>
> Hmmm... you should actually be looking at pins 4 and 5, and
> specifically, if I'm reading this chart correctly, pin 4, Request to
> Send, which my chart says is a signal Inbound to the DCE (modem).
>
> That's the one that should toggle if the modem tries to overrun the
> serial port.
>
> Check setserial to see if the port is in hardware handshake mode, too,
> I think.  [ looks ]  Nope.  stty.  The flag is rtscts.  Do an
>
> stty </dev/name
>
> *while* faxgetty has the modem, and see if that's set.  If not, then
> faxgetty is blowing it for some reason.

Thanks - stty is the command I've been looking for!

RTS is stuck too. stty reports clocal crtscts -ixon -ixoff which looks right
to me. Switched to xonxoff mode and it reports clocal -crtscts ixon ixoff
which also looks ok, but still losing data so it looks like neither
handshaking mode is functioning correctly at the DTE end.

setserial reports /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4 which all
looks good.

For some reason I'm having to reboot the machine to restart faxgetty each
time. I have a line in inittab which reads

mo:2345:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0

and am using kill -HUP 1 to restart. Also tried /sbin/init q, but get no
change in stty reported parameters after doing either of these. A reboot
does bring in the new settings from config.ttyS0. Don't know whether this is
related - probably not.

Thanks

Tim