Re: [hylafax-users] Waiting for modem to come ready

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:29:22 -0700, you wrote:

>You are right. Somehow I read somewhere that I need an entry in /etc/inittab
>to spawn faxgetty. I added it and turned out that there is a
>/etc/init.d/hylafax file too. Now delete my entry in the inittab.
You need both: init.d/hylafax to start hfaxd and faxq, and then either faxgetty
in inittab or faxmodem by hand
>Short question: what is the difference between faxgetty and faxmodem?
faxgetty is always alive and so HylaFAX always knows the state of the modem.
faxmodem just tells to HylaFAX "there's a modem on that port" then HylaFAX
ignores the modem until it needs it.

see man pages for more detailed info

--
giulioo@pobox.com