Re: [hylafax-users] Some error messages

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Lee Howard wrote:

> At 10:50 PM 3/29/01 +0200, dejou@sch.bme.hu wrote:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I have successfully installed a rockwell-k56 modem on our server running
> >Slackware Linux 7.0 with 2.2.16 kernel. Everything looks to work fine,
> >although there are some error messages in the log files, e.g.
> >
> >Mar 29 21:39:17.72: [15938]: <-- [10:AT+FBUG=1\r]
> >Mar 29 21:39:17.73: [15938]: --> [5:ERROR]
> >Mar 29 21:39:17.73: [15938]: MODEM Command error
> >
> >I do not know what this AT+FBUG=1 means, I have not found it in the Class
> >2 commands reference. Could you explain me, please, the meaning of this
> >directive? How to make hylafax not use this statement?
>
> Means that your modem doesn't support it.  Change your config file to read:
> Class2BUGCmd:	AT+FBUG=0

Thanx.

> >The third one: at the moment I have to use my modem with xonxoff flow
> >control at 38400 (the default values of the config file). But how to
> >increase the speed? Theoretically, this modem is capable to handle 56k
> >flows, but I suppose this is done by applying rtscts, which is not
> >applicable for fax reception (based on experiments, it turned out that
> >rtscts results in disappearing all but the top 10 cm of each sheet).
>
> 38400 is the maximum communication rate with the serial device by the
> computer, not how fast the fax connection is at.  And, the maximum fax
> CONNECT speed is 14400, anyway.

I know that, sure, in fax communication the maximum speed is limited to
14.4k in the telephone line and (sometimes) to 19.2k in DTE-DCE
communication. But I am speaking about data connections. If I want my
modem to serve at 56k, obviously, I need higher rate connection between
the computer serial port and the modem, do I? But higher rate
communication cannot be maintained by xonxoff flow control. And my modem
is unable to receive faxes with rtscts. So I do not know how to switch to
higher rates in data connections, this is my problem.