Re: [hylafax-users] Problem with dialcom modem

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 08:28:46PM +0200, Jeney Gábor wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > Well, we'd hate to feel like murderers...
>
> You are great man, you have saved my life! ;-) You are a real GURU!
>
> > I'll bet *cash* the problem is flowcontrol.
>
> You won. But I still do not understand lots of things. E.g. if I include
> only the line

<phew>

> ModemAnswerFaxBeginCmd: "<xon>"
>
> and I do not change anything else, then nothing happens. But if I change
> the general flow control to xonxoff
>
> ModemFlowControl:       xonxoff
>
> then it works. I am not a modem expert, but as far as I know in case of
> data connections, it is advisable to use crtcts, am I right? But this
> setup uses xonxoff all the time, does it? How could I config then the
> hylafax to swith to crtcts in case of data connections?

Hmmm... that's a good question.  In general, as long as the modem
firmware cooperates, you should be able to use either type for faxes,
as long as the modem and the software agree on which one was selected
-- that is, if your software expects hard flow control, but sends a
setup string that tells the *modem* to use soft, you're screwed.

> The second strange thing in my eyes is the &K commands of the modem. These
> are the following:
>
>  &K0 disable flow control -> nothing extreme
>  &K3 bidirectional hardware flow control (crtcts) -> I understand this
>  &K4 software flow control (xonxoff) -> it is clear
>  &K5 transparent (modem-modem) xonxoff software flow control --> ???? <--+
>  &K6 bidirectional hardware (crtcts) and software (xonxoff) flow control-+
>
> Could I make use of the latter two? If yes, then how?

You know, I don't think so.  You should be using K3 and RTSCTS, I
would expect.  Lee, Dmitry, and Harald, in roughly increasing order
of firepower, and decreasing order of apparent free time :-) would be
better people to answer that part of the question.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink