Re: [hylafax-users] Some HylaFAX questions,

At 09:51 PM 3/17/01 -0500, Ali G. wrote:
>Hi every one,
>
>Using Redhat 7.0 and hylafax-4.1beta3-1rh7.i386.rpm RPM.
>Redhat is not an upgrade from previous versions.
>I am also using a USR internal 28.8 modem.
>I saw in some docs that this modem is supposed to be
>installed as class 1 modem. Right now it is installed as
>class 2.0. It works fine as far as I can see even in class 2.0.

Just wait, you'll see. ;-)

>FATAL ERROR: /var/spool/fax/bin/etc/setup.cache is missing!

As has been mentioned, this path is not correct.  If you haven't gone too
far into customization, I'd recommend that you uninstall hylafax 'rpm -e'
and then reinstall it.  Otherwise, you'll need to fix a myriad of scripts
where this is present.  (How in the world did it get screwed up from an RPM
install?!)

Make sure that you run faxsetup after installing it.

>Now when I issue the command ps2fax some file, it gives me some other
>error messages:
>[root@shell bin]# ./ps2fax -1 /usr/share/fax/faxcover.ps -o new
>Error: /undefined in comments
>Operand stack:
>   413.663   29   141.336   189
>Execution stack:
>   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
>--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
>--nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop
>.runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2
>%stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
>Dictionary stack:
>   --dict:910/941(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:96/200(L)--
>Current allocation mode is local
>Current file position is 9041
>GNU Ghostscript: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
>
>What am I missing here?

This is Ghostscript saying that you're trying to convert a non-postscript
document or that the postscript document that you're trying to convert is
improperly coded.  Given the error, I'd guess that you used the
make_faxcover script without reading up on Bug 81.

>Let's say if I want to send a MS Word file sometrhing.doc
>file. How can I send it.
>I tried but it gives me conversion error message.
>How can it be done?

You need to develop some kind of conversion scheme and place that into
typerules.  Typically on Linux, wv (wordview) is used for this type of
work.  I attempted this a while back myself, but didn't ever get it fully
functional.  I know that there have been others on the list attempt it,
too.  Maybe they were successful.

>I don't have problem with pdf files or ascii files.
>I beleive these files are converted to tiff files automatically by
>HylaFAX.

Yes, by typerules.

Lee.