Re: [hylafax-users] Server is slow to respond sometimes

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 10:43:24AM +1300, Warren Wagener wrote:
> I have had a Hylafax server in and working for 2 years now and have
> had to do no fixes until now. Over the last couple of months we have
> noticed the first fax sent via the WHFC client from a Win9X client is
> very slow. All faxes sent after this process much faster. It does not
> appear to be a network loading problem as we are experiencing the same
> from a lot of terminals on different branches of the network.
> Another clue.... Opening a standard Telnet session to the server can
> also suffer from the same delays.
> This leads me to think the problem may not be with the Hylafax
> product.

Right in one.  Your server is trying to reverse-DNS the address of the
workstation so it can log it, and your local DNS server (if you run one
-- and you should) is not authoritative for the reverse zone you are
using.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink