[hylafax-users] 2-DMR: faxgetty and faxmodem defaults

I use a class1 modem with the latest cvs.

Reading the faxmodem.8c  man page I understand that while there's a way
to get class2.0 fax capabilities (at+fcc=?), for class1 all depends on
the HylaFAX software (except for the signalling rate).

When using faxgetty, 2D is used automatically, if possible.

When using faxmodem (no faxgetty), the default is not to use 2D unless
one says otherwise using appropriate faxmodem parameters.

The faxmodem man page says that the default capabilities string is
(0,1),(0-3),(0-4),(0-2),(0),(0),(0),(0-7)

One needs to specify a capability string with (0,1) as the 5th element
to enable 2D using faxmodem.

If the above is true (2D is something HylaFAX has to do for class1, not
the modem), I have some questions:
1) why does faxmodem (without any argument) default to tell hfaxd that
the modem has different capabilities than the ones determined by
faxgetty?
2) if the 1D, 2D, ... does not depend on the modem  for class1, what's
the maximum we can safely use?  (0,1)  or  (0,1,2)  or (0,1,2,3) (I'm
referring to http://www.hylafax.org/HylaFAQ/Q803.html)

Thanks.

--
giulioo@pobox.com