Re: [hylafax-users] Outgoing only, what will happen if the modem returns a busy signa l

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:44:01 -0500, you wrote:

>We were considering loading hylafax for outgoing only service. We have one
>phone line coming into our system, which is currently used for remote access at times.
>we were going to do is hook up a second modem via a line sharing device so
>that  two modems can share the same phone line. Each would be assigned it's own
>/dev/ttyxx
Why don't you use just 1 modem-fax?
If the line is one, and the getty you use can properly reset the fax the
way it likes it, use one modem-fax and you'll have less problems.
We currently do this on many systems.

>I read in the FAQs that when hylafax run in outgoing only mode, it has
>trouble trying to decide if the line is available.
Maybe the faq is a bit pessimistic :-)
HylaFAX will have less control on the line, because the getty is not its
own, but it can detect if the line/device is available via lock files.

However, if you use 2 differemt devices, the line/device will always be
available, so that's not a problem (if a problem exists) you should
worry about (send only/faxgetty).

>So my question is how much trouble does
>it have,  and what would happen the modem returns a busy signal code?
If the sharing devide correctly reports a busy signal, then HylaFAX wil
detect it.

Consider using just one fax-modem.

Otherwise you won't be able to understand when "busy" is real or faked.
A fax can go through and another one may fail due to busy line, even if
the remote fax machines are both always available.

--
giulioo@pobox.com