Re: [hylafax-users] science fiction??

>From what I can gather from faxinfo and faxrcvd man pages you can only
>send faxes as email attachments to
>the intended persons only if we know that " Fax from source Fax number
>is always meant for Mr X". Correct??

Actually, it's etc/FaxDispatch which works as you've described.  And it's
not neccesarily the fax number that you match, it's the contents of the
TSI, which *might* be the fax number.  In order to know this you
essentially need to get your first fax from them and check their TSI string.

>In this context what I would like to know is, does hylafax have the
>capability of getting say an extrn number which
>could be used to "route" incoming faxes to the intended persons.
>
>Example:
>Hylafax server Number : (XXX) - YYY ZZZZ
>
>say Mr ABC's extn is defined as 1111
>& Mr DEF's extn is defined as 2222
>
>In this situation if the remote fax machine dials XXXYYYZZZ1111 then
>hylafax could use 1111 to mail the recv'ed
>fax to Mr ABC.
>If the remote fax machine dials XXXYYYZZZZ2222 then hylafax would use
>2222 so that it can route to Mr DEF.

As it stands, HylaFAX doesn't interpret the incoming number called.  There
needs to be a fair amount of communication here between the phone company,
the modem, and HylaFAX in order for this to be accomplished.  How many
modems report the number called?  Few, I imagine.

So, usually if you're trying to sort faxes by the incoming number called,
you use different modems on different lines, and HylaFAX routes the faxes
according to the devid.

>Am I talking Science Fiction here or can such thing be really done??

This can be done, but I'd say that it would be easier to get this done
using Caller-ID information than it would be using incoming number called
since more modems and phone companies seem to support Caller-ID functions
than the other.  (Now if the same people send different faxes to different
"coworkers" at different times, then Caller-ID won't help much.)

But, if you want to do routing by number-called: 1) get a modem that
reports number called, 2) get your phone company to send that information
with the RING, 3) develop HylaFAX in such a way that it reads this number
called information from the modem at the time of the RING, 4) code faxrcvd
or etc/FaxDispatch in such a way that the faxes are routed using that
number-called string.

Lee.