From: hylafax-users-bounce@hylafax.org [mailto:hylafax-users-bounce@hylafax.org]On Behalf Of Jay R. Ashworth
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 10:51 PM
To: hylafax-users@hylafax.org
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] Double-byte Character

On Monday, September 18, 2000, at 2:53:37 AM, Springman wrote:
> I have had Hylafax up and running on my Linux machine and I'm now
> able to use sendfax to deliver text file to fax machine. Double-byte
> text files such as Chinese, however, become garbage at the receiving
> fax machine. May any Chinese or double-byte character reader /
> speaker here instruct me to fax Chinese? I believe it's the encoding
> and font problem. Where may I get a the necessary files? Thanks a
> lot.

The issue, I should think, is going to be that your textfiles are
being translated to PostScript for imaging into fax pages, and the
program that does this, textfmt(1F), doesn't know anything about
two-byte files.

My first suggestion would be: do the application(s) you're faxing from
know how to to PostScript output natively?  This makes the problem a
bit easier to deal with -- I'm pretty sure GhostScript (the PS
interpreter in question) can be configured to deal with Chinese, at
least using Unicode.  (Note; that's from memory; the possiblity
exists that I could be wrong.)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff