Re: [hylafax-users] [hylafax-devel] ATDT%s@ trick

Hi,

This is from memory, I haven't used it for about 4 years...I THINK it
was an old MultiTech 1432, but I went through LOTS of modems, so not
100 % sure on it.. and yes, it did work!

The @ at the end of the dial string causes the modem to report NO CARRIER
if the remote end answers, but does not issue a carrier.

It reports NO ANSWER if the remote end DOES NOT ANSWER... So, there is
a big difference between the two.

On the cheaper ZDX MultiTechs, I'm not 100 % sure if it works or not.

My gut feeling is that it doesn't, or I would be using it....

I think it's only the top end modems that are using it... maybe if the
operator of TPC.INT in England is on the list, he could indicate if
he is using the @ in the dial string... For the volume of faxes they
put through, they should have a good feeling on it!

No Answer & No Carrier are handled differently by HylaFAX, I THINK
a NO ANSWER will cause HylaFAX to not try that number again ( fail the
fax ), whereas a NO CARRIER let's it go on with the maximum number of
tries..

Take this with a grain of salt, I'm thinking back 4 to 5 years when I
was working with Sam getting the AIX port working, and my memory is
sometimes selective ( not to say totally wrong!! ).

Thanks,

> #
> # We normally append the "@" symbol to the dial string so that
> # the modem will wait 5 seconds before attempting to connect
> # and return result codes that distinguish between no carrier
> # and no answer.  This makes it possible to avoid problems with
> # repeatedly dialing a number that doesn't have a fax machine
> # (kudos to Stuart Lynne for this trick.)
> #
> ModemDialCmd:          ATDT%s@         # T for tone dialing, @ for silence
>
> Can you explain me how this trick is *supposed* to work?
>
> Hope to hear from you soon,
> Dmitry

	Steve Williams, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
	Genie Computer Systems Inc.
	steve@genie96.com

"A man doesn't begin to attain wisdom until he recognizes that he is
 no longer indispensable."
- Admiral Richard E. Byrd ( 1888-1957 )