Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax Installation

Excerpt from the about-to-be-released HOW-TO:

2.2 RedHat Linux, Linux Mandrake, and Turbo Linux Installation (i386)
This installation has been used on RedHat 6.1 (Cartman), 6.2 (Zoot), 7.0
(Pinstripe), Linux Mandrake 7.1, and Turbo Linux 6.0.

2.2.1

Get the HylaFAX RPM file from
ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/binary/linux/redhat/RPMS/i386/hylafax-4.1beta2-5rh6.i3
86.rpm

2.2.2

The following packages must be properly installed before HylaFAX. You can
test by executing 'rpm -q packagename'.

libtiff-3.5.5 or better
(get it at
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/updates/6.2/i386/libtiff-3.5.5-2.i386.rpm)
ghostscript-5.50 or better
(get it at
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.2/i386/RedHat/RPMS/ghostscript-5.50
-1.i386.rpm)
ghostscript-fonts-5.50 or better
(get it at
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.2/i386/RedHat/RPMS/ghostscript-5.50
-1.i386.rpm)
mawk-1.2.2 or better
(get it at
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.2/i386/RedHat/RPMS/mawk-1.2.2-12.i3
86.rpm)
libgr-devel-2.0.13 or better
(get it at
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.2/i386/RedHat/RPMS/libgr-devel-2.0.
13-23.i386.rpm)

Uninstall mgetty-sendfax if it is installed via 'rpm -e mgetty-sendfax'.

2.2.3

Install the HylaFAX RPM file via 'rpm -Uvh hylafax-4.1beta2-5rh6.i386.rpm'.

Run /usr/sbin/faxsetup and then /usr/sbin/faxaddmodem and answer the
questions appropriately. Note that it is critical to be consistent in the
nomenclature for the modem. RedHat likes to set up /dev/modem as a symbolic
link to the real serial port (for example /dev/ttyS1), however, I would
recommmend that /dev/ttySx be used religiously during the HylaFAX setup.

If faxaddmodem does not detect your modem type automagically then you will
likely need to create a config file in /var/spool/fax/config for your modem
and re-run faxaddmodem. See Section 6.1, ''Modem Config Files''.

2.2.4

Add the line: 'mo:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttySx' to /etc/inittab
where ttySx is the name of your /dev device used in faxsetup and faxaddmodem.
Also, run '/usr/sbin/ntsysv' and make sure that the ''hylafax'' service is
set to be started. This service can be started, stopped, and restarted as
any other service via '/etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax'.

2.2.5

HylaFAX faxsetup created a mail alias called FaxMaster. Edit this alias to
direct mail to the intended recipient of fax information and incoming
faxes. For example, 'pico /etc/aliases' and change the appropriate line to
'FaxMaster: faxuser@mydomain.com' where faxuser@mydomain.com is the
intended e-mail address of the incoming fax recipient. (Actually, this
could have been configured during faxsetup, but it likely got missed.) Then
execute '/usr/bin/newaliases'.

2.2.6

The HylaFAX installation is now complete. However, you'll likely only be
able to receive one fax without re-executing '/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttySx'
each time. So, the easiest way to get the /etc/inittab changes functioning
is to restart the server, 'shutdown -r now' or to restart init via
'/sbin/init q'.

Lee Howard