Re: [hylafax-users] macflex

On Monday, August 28, 2000, at 10:00:09 AM, Georg Buschbeck wrote:
> i got macflex for my ibook,
> in the hosts file the ip of the ibook ist listed.
> but macflex says, that the server is inactive,
> i tried to send a fax but it wasn't successful,
> the configuration of macflex is the same es with whfc

Yup; this one is easy.

MacFlex, like WinFlex, is a client for the "old" HylaFAX protocol.  To
enable that protocol, you need to add a command line switch to the
place where you start hfaxd.

See http://www.hylafax.org/man/hfaxd.html, and your /etc/services file
for the port number; 4559 is the new protocol, 'hylafax', the old one
goes on port 4557, 'fax'.

So, to enable this, you need to change

hfaxd -n 4559

hfaxd -n 4559 -o 4557

in the appropriate file.  Since you didn't say which distribution
you're using, I can't tell you where to find that, but
/etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax and /etc/rc.d/rc.local are good candidates
(the former for RH and debian derived distros, the latter for the
BSD's and Slack.)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff