Re: [hylafax-users] FW: Fax to mail, w/dedicated user lines ?

On Saturday, August 26, 2000, at 12:49:38 AM, Alan Wagner-Krankel wrote:
>> So far as I'm aware, there isn't yet any *formal*
>> support for DID in faxgetty (which is the program that
>> would care), but I think I'd heard that someone had
>> hacked something for themselves.

> That would be me .... the code is available to anyone
> who wants it, but so far I've only heard from one
> other person who might have the hardware to go with it.

Ah.  Cool.  If the changes aren't too extensive, it might be worth
getting that rolled into the mainline distribution.

> The hard part is getting the DID number (or DNIS number
> in the T-1/E-1 world) into faxgetty.  We have a 3Com
> Total Control rack with a T-1/E-1 card - it groks DNIS,
> and appends the dialed number to the 'RING' message, and
> the modified faxgetty parses it out.

I figured it would be either that, or simulated CNID.

> The rest of the process is pretty simple - look up the
> number, dispatch the fax.  I've added a bit of polish,
> such as a hash-table based lookup, and setting the
> CSI based on the dialed number

Oooh.  Spiffy.  :-)

> It looks like it should be simple enough to add analog
> DID support - most modems support '%T' for parsing DTMF.
> I don't have an analog DID to test this theory, however.

Hmmm... hadn't thought about that.  Do the tones stay around long
enough?

> Interest in this feature seems to have escalated over the
> past few months, and I've exchanged a few e-mails with
> some other folks interested in adding this.  No progress
> yet, and of course at the moment I'm caught up in one of
> those all-too-familiar deadline crunches at work, so
> any near-term progress won't be my fault.

I'm hip.  I'm cross-posting this reply to the development mailing
list, perhaps someone can pick up on it.

> Anyway, that's what I know about DID support in
> Hylafax - if anyone wants the code, let me know.

You the *man*, Alan.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff