Re: [hylafax-users] do you mangle sendmail.cf?

Hello,

Lee Howard <hylafax@deanox.com> writes:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but faxmail only faxes the ASCII content of an
> e-mail, right?
Yes, that is correct.
> So, does anyone have an email-to-fax configuration that does not use
> something like procmail?  I.e. did you configure sendmail.cf manually to
> acheive the faxing of a TIFF/PS attachment?  Usually HylaFAX FAQs have sent
> the faxes as mail to addresses like: 1234567@mydomain.fax

Well, it  is not an attachment to an e-mail, it is faxing an e-mail
without attachment.

> If you did, I would surely appreciate a brief explanation of how you did
> the "sendmail mangling" for this to function so that I can include it in
> the forthcoming HOW-TO.
>
> Sending simply text seems quite mundane, if you ask me.  Does anybody use
> faxmail often?

I use it quite often, that is two to three times a day, as ist is
quite handy to fax a short notice to somebody who does not have an
e-mail account. Or the other way round, have your own received mail
beeing forwarded by fax to yourself on  your 80 ft yacht :-)

Now, there are two ways to configure sendmail .
I. You can either  add to your .mc file, that is linux.mc or OS-Type.mc, or to
your .m4 file the following:
        define(`FAX_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/faxmail')dnl
        define(`FAX_MAILER_ARGS',`faxmail -d -n -p 12 pt $u@$h $f')dnl
        MAILER(`fax')dnl
While the path to faxmail might be different, depending on OS-Type and
distribution, the arguments can be taken from man (1) faxmail.
After adding to your mail.mc or m4 file, you have to translate the
file with the m4 macros. That is
                # m4 mail.mc > sendmail.cf

II. Or can do it the hard way and add to your sendmail.cf  :-)

                CPREDIRECT
                CPFAX

####################################
###   FAX Mailer specification   ###
####################################

#####  @(#)fax.m4       8.11 (Berkeley) 5/19/1998  #####

Mfax,           P=/usr/bin/faxmail, F=DFMhu, S=14, R=24, M=100000,
                        T=X-Phone/X-FAX/X-Unix ,
                        A=faxmail -d -n -p 12pt $u@$h $f

It is quite important tha you do not use the feature allmasquerade in
your sendmail configuration as this feature would include the
masquerading of the domain fax.

The mail address would be something like
                To: joe.brown@0123456.fax

regards
Dieter

--