Re: [hylafax-users] Inconsitency of placing dialrules file ?

On Thursday, August 17, 2000, at 9:35:39 PM, Agus Subhan Akbar wrote:
> Dear Daren, I 've got source of hylafax and got without errors at
> compiling and running. that i told you before. But there is one
> thing still make me confused. about placement of dialrules file. a
> file for conversion phone number.

Darren apparently not having had time free this weekend to get back to
you on this (I know how he feels :-), I'll stick my mouth in...

> i got two place that use a different dialrules file when i tracing the software.
> those are
> --faxd/ServerConfig.cpp
> void ServerConfig::SetDialRules(const char *name)
-->> when i trace it .. the name refers to 'etc/dialrules' -> at FAXSPOOL
> directory
> in my machine it refers to /var/spool/fax/etc/dialrules.
> it use dialrules for converting number into dialstring and cannonicalnumber.

Yep, that's one.  Note "Server".

> --util/SendFaxClient.cpp
> bool SendFaxClient::prepareForJobSubmissions(fxStr& emsg)
> line 15 : dialRules = new DialStringRules(dialRulesFile);
> this 'dialRulesFile' referst to dialrules at FAXLIBDATA directory
> in my machine it refers to /usr/local/lib/fax/dialrules.
> it use dialrules just for converting phone-number into displayNumber.

That's correct.  Note "Client".

> I don't know why it split into two location ? why don't use in one location
> only. ?

The short version is: one's for the server, one's for the client.

The *medium* version (:-) is: the client *can* be on the same machine
as the server, but it doesn't have to be.  Since the *client* needs a
dialrules file, too, and it wouldn't be practical to ship it back
through the pipe (and, indeed, you might have good reasons to *want*
differently set up dialrules files on client and server) they're
separate... even in those cases when the client is hosted on the same
box that the server is.

Was that sufficiently explanatory?  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra