Re: [hylafax-users] Quick questions...

"Jay R. Ashworth" wrote:

> These, of course, only narrow things down to who's *sending* the fax,
> not who they're sending it to.  I seem to remember someone working on
> a thing called T.30 subaddressing, but I don't know that that would
> help you... and the only other customary solution to this is to use
> DID -- direct inward dialling -- each user gets a 'fax number'; they
> all point to the same modem bank.  So far as I know, though, there's
> not yet a good way to do that, either.

Hmmm... actually, while not a preferable solution, we might go that
way.  Of course, as we add employees, that's not a good way to go.  But
I suppose only assigning fax #s to those who really *need* them and let
everyone else share a single general box might do the trick...

I asked this because, a couple of years ago when I was working with a
Windows-based (and very expensive!) Copia FaxFacts server, they offered
a third-party solution that was supposed to actually parse fields on the
cover sheet to determine delivery.  If I can remember who that was,
maybe I can look up their site and see if they have anything new... :-)

> The *right* way to do this is to receive the fax, then OCR scan it to
> pull an addressee out of it.  Unfortunately, Unix-based, much less
> *free*, implementations of OCR are few and far between.

Would these be "automagic"?

> > B) Be able to send faxes from applications... ie. "print to fax" or
> > something similar.  Something that installs as a printer driver under
> > Windows and something else that would give a similar ability under UNIX.
>
> This is a walk-on. The HylaFAX home page has links to print-driver
> solutions for various versions of Windows and the Mac; as well as for
> interactive Unix/X printing. If you're in a non-interactive Unix
> environment, the trick is getting address info out to the client
> program; how easy this is depends on what you're printing from.

I'm not sure of what you mean by "interactive" vs. "non-interactive".

--
John Oliver, System Administrator
ConnectNet, an Allegiance Telecom company