Re: [hylafax-users] fatal error upgrading to latest hylafax

On Monday, July 24, 2000, at 6:08:28 AM, Francesc Guasch wrote:
> I just upgraded to hylafax-4.1beta2-5rh6
> I also upgraded libtiff.

> Now when I want to sendfax a test file I get this error:

> /usr/sbin/textfmt: No font metric information found for "Courier-Bold".
> Usage: /usr/sbin/textfmt [-1] [-2] [-B] [-c] [-D] [-f fontname] [-F
> fontdir(s)] [-m N] [-o #] [-p #] [-r] [-U] [-Ml=#,r=#,t=#,b=#] [-V #]
files... >>out.ps
> Default options: -f Courier -1 -p 11bp -o 0
> Error converting data; command was "/usr/sbin/textfmt -B -f
> Courier-Bold       -Ml=0.4in -p 11 -s default >/tmp//sndfaxIUUego
> </tmp//sndfaxXtjE8e"

> What should I do ?

Ah yes... the old "no font metric" trick.  :-)

The problem is that textfmt wants a .afm file for that font, in a
place that it can find it.  That involves 3 things: the proper
contents (it should be a text file, that contains Courier-Bold in one
of it's parameters), in the right place, with the right name.

Alas, where "the right place" is depends on how your textfmt binary
was compiled.  My best suggestion to you is to run strings(1) against
it, and look for a path name.  If that pathname doesn't contain .afm
files, find them, and copy them there.  I can't suggest where you
might find them, because while you *did* tell us which HylaFAX distro
you're using, you did *not* mention which *Linux* distro you have.

I'm still working on trying to find out where they belong; more in
about 48 hours, I suspect.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff