[hylafax-users] check modem power

Hi.

I'm running hylafax on IRIX 6.5.x on a Challenge S/O2/Indy and using
Multi-Tech MT1932ZDXK modems on an SGI (Central-Data) EL16 ethernet
terminal server.

About 3/4 of the time I get "Unknown problem - check modem power" errors
when trying to send faxes. I have attached one of the modems to the
built-in serial port and I have no problems (in fact, we have been using
the modems for years on a Central-Data SCSI terminal server for years,
so I _know_ it is nothing to do with my configuration, and yes, I have
tried downloading trhe latest - even development versions of hylafax,
and no, it doesn't fix it).

If I run efax (different fax package - nothing to do with hylafax) on the
modems on the terminal server, that too is fine.

So, hylafax seems to work fine on a standard serial port, but breaks on
the terminal server's ttys - which makes it look like a terminal server
driver problem, but efax works fine on the terminal server tty's so that
makes it look like hylafax is at fault.

Either there is some subtle bug in either the terminal server driver or
hylafax which is only shown up when they are used together. Which one is
it? How can I find out? The error occurs after hylafax has sent the
dial-string - no response is received, the modem just appears to go dead.
Is there the possibility of some race-condition/timeout? Why doesn't efax
exhibit the same problem?

Can anyon give me any pointers to where to look for a problem in the code,
or any suggestions as to what possibly could go wrong? This is driving me
mad. ARGH!

--
David Coles, System Administrator, Southern Studios    davidc@southern.com