Re: [hylafax-users] Cannot build data connection: Connection refused

On Sunday, July 23, 2000, at 12:36:35 PM, Alexander Hoff wrote:
> i tried to get my hylafax server up and running for many many hours
> but i failed. I really don't know what's going wrong. I hope there
> anyone outthere who can help me.

The possibility do exist...  :-)

> I installed hylafax version 4.1beta2 (rpm-archive) on red hat linux 6.2.
> Hylafax and my modem are both configured right (i suppose). That's the
> result i get when i enter "ps ax | grep fax":
>   689 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/faxq
>   691 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/hfaxd -i hylafax
>   907 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/faxgetty modem
> 24369 pts/0    S      0:00 grep fax
> [root@server]#

So far so good.  Note that you're going to have a problem if your
libtiff is 3.5.0 to 3.5.4.  Older ones, and 3.5.5 and up, will work
ok.  The symptom is that outgoing faxes never go; faxq will have a
child faxq that just churns...

You can check this with

# rpm -qa | grep libtiff

> I am able to connect to hylfax via telnet using "telnet [ip adresse]
> 4559" (or telnet localhost 4559) and i can enter  commands like "user
> alex" or "stat".  But when i enter a command like "list" i get the
> following error messag "Cannot build data connection: Connection
> refused". Needless to say that there's no client doing a better job than
> telnet. All i get is this error message.
> Can you help me?

I think so.  Check /var/spool/fax/etc/hosts, first.  This file decides
who's allowed to send faxes through your server.  It must include
127.0.0.1, at the least, and the IP addresses (or network numbers;
'192.168.128.' would be an acceptable syntax) for the machines on your
net you want to have access.  Check this first, and if this isn't it,
determine whether the fax server machine has a firewall... or the
client machine does.  Like FTP, the data connection is built in
reverse, from the server back to the client (I *think*; isn't that
right Darren?), so if the client won't allow the connection, it won't
work.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff