[hylafax-users] Re: Class 2 config file...

The system with the USR Class 2.0 modem is running RedHat 6.1 and
hylafax-4.1beta2-5.

So far I have had no errors with it, in sending or receiving, but that
doesn't mean that I expect it to be perfect.  My fax volume is *very* low
in comparison to yours (I maybe see 20-40 incoming faxes and 4 or so
outgoing daily)... and the system with the Rockwell modem handles most of
that.  I'd say that on average I see an error in every 250 incoming faxes -
usually because of an excessive amount of bad scan lines (which the USR
seems to do better at - I have not had a bad scan line in any fax received
by the USR).  The only errors that I've *ever* had on outgoing faxes was
when the remote fax terminated the fax due to a page-limit, and HylaFAX
just kept on going... for a half an hour before I faxrm'd the thing.

As for my Class 2.0 file, I spent quite a bit of time on it, and I'm fairly
certain about the settings there being appropriate.  The only optional
possibilities are hashed.
The USR modem does not support copy quality checking, so Class2CQCmd should
be null, but could be AT+FCQ=0,0 if HylFAX understands that this means the
same as null.  Null is a safer option choice to bet on.  Interestingly, the
USR modem reports that it *does* support copy quality checking when issuing
AT+FCQ=?, however changing it to anything other than 0,0 gives ERROR (which
means that it lies about its CQC ability).  If HylaFAX parses things
appropriately, AT+FCQ? would generate a vaild response here, but to play
things safe, !(0),(0) -forcing the setting - is a better solution just in
case the parsing doesn't work.  The USR modem also doesn't support HDLC
tracing, and nulling that option is also a safer bet than to use AT+FBU=0
which might be interpreted as a strange way to enable it.  Frankly, I think
that HylaFAX is better suited to work with modems that support both of
these options (CQC and HDLC), and that there may be some things that need
to be worked out on the code to accomodate these handicapped "fax"modems,
but it seems to work for me anyway.  The biggest problem is that USR/3Com
has very little AT+F command documentation.

One thing that seemed to help somewhat (and I couldn't explain why) was a
kernel upgrade from 2.2.12 to 2.2.16.  You may want to consider that anyway
since 2.2.16 fixes some security issues that 2.2.12 and 2.2.14 have.  I did
my upgrades from tarball and not RPM, so I couldn't comment on the
funtionality of the RPMs.  However, if you are using software RAID, I would
highly recommend that you *not* perform this upgrade without testing it
first on a similarly RAIDed system - I've had lots of trouble with the
software RAID and kernel upgrading.

Lee Howard