[hylafax-users] Re: suggestions for good modem to world with hylafax

David Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com> writes:

> I am looking for a good modem to use with Hylafax.
> I am using Hylafax on FreeBSD 3.4 - on a PC
> I am now having some problems with my usr faxmodem working in class 2 -
> any suggestions on a replacement?

Most modem-related problems are caused by Hylafax bugs, not firmware
ones (broken Class 2.0 in USR modems is an obvious exception). There are
some modems that manage to work around Hylafax bugs (Multitech and others),
so Hylafax community thinks they are the only "right" modems in the world
:-) If you are going to use USR, try Class1, but take into account that
stock Hylafax still contains many Class1 bugs. Some of them has been fixed
in the current CVS, some fixes still have not been released -- I am testing
them now, and some still live there untouched :-( You can also try to buy
"recommended" Class2/2.0 modem (e.g. Multitech -- search mailing list
archive for the exact model), and this way I just wish you good luck :-)

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry