[hylafax-users] Problems with faxaddmodem and Linux 2.2.10 or so

Hi,

This is a resend after doing more checking.

I have now installed Hylafax 4.1beta on a TurboLinux 4.0 system. I did this
by pulling down the source and compiling it. I also made sure that I have
removed any RPMs that might have been installed.

faxaddmodem barfs trying to communicate with the modem.

The investigation I have done suggests that SendToModem in faxaddmodem is
not reading the responses back from the modem, and the file
/tmp/<whaterver> contains what looks like a few characters from the echo'd
command when faxaddmodem sends an AT+FCLASS=? command to the modem.

faxaddmodem gets different behaviour on different systems:

On one (2.2.9), with an older 33.6 modem, I get the following in response
to the AT+FCLASS=? being sent to the modem:

AT+FCLASS=?
ERROR

This looks like the modem does not like to receive characters as fast as it
does in command mode. If I use cu and manually type the above command in I
get back 0,1,2.

On the other system (2.2.12) with a 56k with Rockwell chipset I get back
A1AA and that is it.

However, again, if I manually connect to the modem with cu and type in
AT+FCLASS=?, I get back a string telling me what classes it supports.

Anyone seen these problems?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe@ns.aus.com
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours